Sunday, October 12, 2014

Galaxy Water Marble

Hi lovies! Today I am showing off a water marble I did recently. One of my friends commented that the swirls looked like planetary rings, so I decided to call this a galaxy water marble!


If any of you have water marbled before, you will understand what I mean when I say that this technique and I, have a love/hate relationship. I love the way marbling looks, but hate the amount of time and effort needed for this technique. Although I do have to say I was particularly happy with the way this one turned out. Definitely worth the effort.


For this design, I decided to mix black, navy blue, and a gorgeous sparkly holographic turquoise called Refresh-ing, from Colors by Llwaroe. At first, I was a little iffy about how much a holographic polish would stand out in my water marble. But when I saw my mani in the sunlight, I was glad I had included Refresh-ing. The holo effects definitely stood out in the sun.



So yes, water marbling does take a bit of time and effort, but the results are usually worth it. Here are a few tips I have for those of you who want to try this look:

1) Make sure you use room temperature water.

2) The most annoying part about water marbling is the clean up. To avoid difficult clean-up, put some scotch tape around your nail to easily remove excess polish around the skin (after submerging your nail to pick up the marbled design). I have also seen quite a few videos where people put liquid Elmer's glue around the skin near their nail, let the glue dry, and then pick up their water marble design. That way you can peel off the Elmer's glue after both the glue and polish are dry, easily removing excess polish from your skin.

3) Some brands are better for marbling than others. China Glaze, Zoya, and Sally Hansen usually work well for me. Try to avoid using "quick dry" or "insta-dry" polishes.

4) Be patient! If your design doesn't work the first or second time, try again! It definitely takes practice so give yourself some time to mess around with colors and polishes and see what works for you! :)


Like this design? Check out my other's on pinterest!

Funky Fingers – glitter
Colors by Llwaroe – refresh-ing
California Velvets – deep black
KB Shimmer – low and be bold (navy blue)

2 comments:

  1. Love the results! I thought you maybe used clear polish and marbled over a holo...I'm surprised the holo worked so well. I'll definitely have to play with my polishes some more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was surprised too! For this mani, I did a black base and marbled black, navy blue, and the teal holo.

      Delete