Friday, February 14, 2014

50 Shades of Grey ...Nail Polish

Happy Valentine's Day! 

So I did this mani a few months ago and kept debating on when would be a good time to post it. Considering this is the holiday of love (imagine me saying that sarcastically), I thought sharing it today would be appropriate. 

Please forgive my neglected cuticles and less than perfect lighting. Looking back at these photos makes me realize how much I have progressed in the past few months.


So for this mani, I decided to get a little naughty and recreate some of the imagery from E.L. James' best selling novel, Fifty Shades of Grey. For those of you aren't familiar with the story (but really, who isn't?), the book is a romance novel...kind of....about having sex in limos, having sex in elevators, and basically any other place you can think of. The plot revolves around the relationship between Anastasia Steele, the shy graduate student and Christian Grey, a wealthy business tycoon who introduces Ana to the world of kink and all things BDSM.

As someone who works as a book seller, I have seen some of the changes this book has brought to the industry. As many of us already know, when 50 Shades of Grey was first published, it was ridiculously popular. Seeing its popularity, many of the publishing houses who would have turned their nose up at this category of writing 5 years ago, have since begun publishing and promoting authors whose writing falls in a similar category. Sylvia Day, Julie Kenner, and C.L. Parker, to name a few. At this point,  the craze surrounding the novels has definitely died down. However, since the movie version has finally been cast and shooting has begun, we are sure to hear more about Christian and Ana in the upcoming months. Currently, it seems kink has taken over the industry and honestly, its kind of nice to see that people aren't so prudish. 

Other changes? Well aside from the large scale, like increased rope sales at home depot, and the rumored baby boom, it seems the novel has even affected smaller, more remote areas. My boyfriend went to New Hampshire last year for vacation and  during his trip had to stop in at a small rinky dink hardware store. While looking around, he noticed a small cardboard box labeled, "50 Shades of Grey, Do it Yourself Kit". Inside the box was twine, zip ties, and rope. I can't make this stuff up, people.

I could give my extensive opinion on the book series (yes, I'll admit I was one of those people who read all 3), but there are so many other articles, reviews, and opinions about the series that adding mine seems superfluous. What I will say, is if you are looking for a "romance novel", a fast read, and something entertaining/humorous, give the series a try. Other wise, try the "in death" series by Nora Robert's alter ego, J.D. Robb. Her work has a more intricate plot, her characters are well developed, and most importantly, her work doesn't read like a fanfiction. Oops. Looks like my opinion snuck in there anyway.

But moving on. Nail art! 


For this mani, I combined a few techniques. After painting my grey base coat, Revlon Hazy, using a make up sponge (gradient technique), I combined about 4 shades of grey (50 seemed like overkill) to achieve the look you see on my pinky and ring finger. Then because combining lips and chains seemed oh-so-appropriate for this theme, I stamped these images on my thumb and middle finger using a black and white konad stamping polishes. Finally, because at the time I was working on my free handing (I really should get back to that) I used a thin nail brush to paint a tie on my pointer finger. I was actually really pleased with how the tie came out, seeing as I don't free hand too often. And to add a bit of sparkle (and because Christian Grey is a gazillionaire) I added a small crystal stud to accent the tie.

So that's all the nail art I have for today, but before I go, I want to leave you with a bit of fun. Are you having a stressful day at work? Is the cold weather bringing you down? Take a short break, grab yourself a latte, and take a few minutes to listen to Gilbert Gottfried's dramatic reading of Fifty Shades of Grey. Trust me, you won't be sorry.

Have a happy Valentine's night : P

XOXO, On Wednesdays, We Wear Polish


Like what you see? Check out my other designs on pinterest!

Revlon - Hazy (base)
Color Club - Status Update (Dark Grey)
Sally Hansen - Celeb City (silver)
Julep - Winter (light grey)
Konad Black
Konad White
BM12 - Chains
BM02 - Lips

2 comments:

  1. I need to say THANK YOU on your opinion. Everyone I know who's read the books love them but I found them horrible. I couldn't finish the first one. I will look up the ones you mentioned as I'm always on the lookout for a new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Definitely check out J.D. Robb, she's always a fun read and her series is amazing! I think the first book is called Naked in Death. Let me know what you think!

      Delete