Monday, May 5, 2014

Stained Glass Inspired Mani

Hello lovies! I am finally back after a much needed hiatus. Between classes, school work, my internship, and regular job, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed. So much so in fact, that my nails have been naked for the past month. My friends were beginning to become concerned.

For example, I had this conversation with a coworker recently...

Colleague: Hey, how are you doing? Haven't seen you in a bit.
Me: Doing good, things were kind of crazy with finals.
Colleague: (looks down at my hands) You're nails aren't done. OMG, are you okay?

Fortunately, I found some time this week to practice self care and do my nails. Unfortunately, I am completely dissatisfied with how my nails turned out. I did this weird combination of yellow and studs and glitter that I loved the minute I finished, and hated the next morning. It sort of feels like I had a one night stand with my manicure. Seemed like a good idea at the time. But the next morning, I could feel myself doing the "walk of shame" when I got to work and my coworker's wanted to see my latest design.  Now looking back at the night of the manicure, when I pulled out that yellow bottle, I keep asking myself, "what were you thinking?". 

Well, you can't win em' all, right? I am debating if I should even post my "nail fail" and maybe get some suggestions on other combos I should have tried. For those of you that blog, what do think of posting nail fails?

Thankfully, the manicure I have for you today is definitely not a fail. I did this one several weeks back, when my nails were still long, gorgeous, and taken care of. Ah, the good old days.


So a few weeks ago I had some free time and decided to go to my favorite museum, the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I have never been the greatest artist, but have always loved art history, and even minored in it :) One of my favorite pieces in the museum is what you see below, the Autumn Landscape, created by Tiffany Studios in 1923. This lovely stained glass window was commissioned by Loren Delbert Towle for his Gothic revival mansion in Boston. Ironically, despite it's beauty, this piece was not created to stand alone or be the center of attention. Believe it or not, this gorgeous piece was created to light the landing of the houses main stair case. But really, who has that much money? Who thinks, you know what these stairs could use? A really expensive stained glass window. But maybe that's just me. 


Anyway, after seeing this piece, I felt inspired.  I knew I wouldn't be able to recreate the exact design so instead,  I came up with my own design using the color's from  the stained glass. After going through my entire collection of polishes, I picked these 9 for my mani. And yes, I really did use all 9 bottles in this mani. Took FOREVER. But totally worth it, and totally pleased with my results (which explains why this post has so many pictures...the more happy I am with a design = the more pictures lol).


And bam! My stained glass mani :)



I also don't want to talk about the mess I was left with after using 9 polishes and I don't even remember how many make up sponges. But SO worth it. 





Thanks for stopping by! : )

Like what you see? Check out my other designs on pinterest!

SOURCES
MET MUSEUM
PICTURING AMERICA

Julep - Francis (light green)
China Glaze - Turned up Turquoise
China Glaze - Aqua Baby (teal)
Maybelline - Mystic Green (metallic green)
Maybelline - Fierce N Tangy (bright yellow base)
Zoya - Katherine (deep purple plum)
LA Girl - Deejay (cerulean blue)
Essie - Penny Talk (amber gold)
L'oreal - The Muse's Inspiration (metallic orange)
Konad Black
Moyou London Pro Collection 07 (XL) - "stained glass" pattern

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely mani! You really captured the mood of the stained glass window!

    ReplyDelete